Weigh In Wednesday

OK, first let me explain the absence of Meal Plan Monday this week. This is a heavy recipe testing week for the chef cookbook I’m working on. When that’s going on, I never really know what exactly I’ll be eating. I’m cooking multiple recipes every day and then eating some of what ever it is. This week’s chapter is almost entirely about grilled meats. Tons of meat. It’s true that I should be making salads to accompany the meat but unless it’s required by the recipe, forget it. I get too cooked out to cook extra stuff on top of the pounds and pounds of grilled meat jamming up my fridge. If you’ve ever worked on a cookbook, maybe you understand.

On the plus side, this is the second to last chapter. Next up: salads! Now, being restaurant-chef salads, these will be plenty fattening but at least they will be primarily plant food. I can’t wait. There may not be a Meal Plan Monday next week either because with any luck I will have moved right onto the last days of cookbook-dictated eating. And that will be a huge relief. I barely remember what I like to cook for myself at this point. I’ve been working on the book since January.

Back to Weigh in Wednesday. Today’s weigh-in is 163.8. That’s six-tenths of a pound up from last week and a full pound up from two weeks back.  It’s still about 5 pounds down from my weight at the start of June. Things seem to be quieting down at least a little bit on the family front, and as I just mentioned, at this point, almost all the excess cookbook calories are behind me.

Even though it’s clearly very slow going here, I feel like I can chip away at this. My current goal weight is 159.9. That will be a good feeling to be back into the 150s and it’s not that far away. Over the weekend I was shopping for clothes and I picked up a size-4 pair of shorts and it was unreal to me I was ever that size, though I know I used to be. It looked like doll clothes. Getting back into tiny pants isn’t a goal of mine. Getting back to my normal just-a-bit-chubby self is more the idea. And even though it isn’t an ambitious goal, it’s still overwhelming. I think in order to find a lower weight, I need to make some changes in my life, especially in terms of what I do for fun.

Lately I’ve been thinking about activities or hobbies that don’t center on food or alcohol. Is it me, or does it seem like there are very few such things? I searched for walking meetups in my area and came up pretty empty. I’ve never kayaked, but I found a daylong kayaking class that I might go to in August.

I did come across a storytelling event at a coffee shop that’s happening tonight and I’m going to go. I love personal narratives and it sounds like fun. Maybe I’ll even discover new local writers I can recruit for Edible Philly. Next week, I’ll tell you what I thought.

If you have ideas for social activities that aren’t eating or drinking, leave them in the comments for me. I seriously can barely imagine what else people do for fun.

7 Responses to Weigh In Wednesday

1. bethh July 16, 2014 at 5:51 pm #

Well, I don’t know that it’s exactly FUN but I’m training for a couple of events and meet with friends for most of my bike rides and runs. So I might spend six hours riding a bike on a weekend, at least nominally with a friend (we don’t chat a ton but it’s semi-social).

Other than that.. I’m reviewing my social life and a lot of it really does touch on food or drink – I at least try to push the home-made aspect by going to someone’s house or having friends over, but socializing does seem to involve calories much of the time.

• joymanning July 16, 2014 at 9:57 pm #

That does sound fun to me. I think I need to make some fitness minded friends …

2. KitschenBitsch July 16, 2014 at 7:07 pm #

Does dancing appeal to you at all? I’ve enjoyed group dance classes as hobby and fitness activity. To be perfectly honest, the first step I took toward getting healthy (eight years ago, oh my goodness!) was to sign up for a pole dance class. I’m still doing it now, and have just started lifting using the Beautiful Badass Mini Course from Lift Like a Girl. I mention dance because for me, especially at pole class, I forget everything else in my life for an hour, and it sounds like that would be therapeutic for you.

If you have any interest in sewing/knitting, I’ve noted a growing interest in sewing circles as a social activity.

• joymanning July 16, 2014 at 9:56 pm #

Dancing does appeal to me. We actually have a great group that holds fun dance fitness classes and I had been going pretty regularly for a little while last year … Until I ran into kind of a “mean girl” there, someone I’d known from the local writing world and had tried to befriend until I was tired of being brushed off. And seeing her at these dance classes, where I already felt self conscious because I’m a good dancer at all, made me not want to go anymore. Crazy right? I should go back. It was really fun and therapeutic.

3. KitschenBitsch July 16, 2014 at 11:02 pm #

That can totally kill the dance buzz. Go back or find another group. And if you’re ever in Raleigh, NC, I’ll totally accompany you to an intro pole class! :-D

4. Missy July 20, 2014 at 8:59 am #

I have one girlfriend that I go to the pool with weekly to do laps, and another that does hot yoga with me sometimes. My other friend and I will sometimes do “healthy lifestyle Fridays” where we’ll do a light workout (long walk,etc.), healthy dinner (salmon and veggies) and then just zombie out watching “Community” reruns or something as an alternative to a night out drinking.

My husband and I like fitness-oriented weekend activities – kayaking, hiking, stand up paddleboating (I’m terrible at that, though), etc. I’m also training for a sprint triathalon right now which means a ton more workouts than I might do normally, and it’s something you can do with a friend (my sister, husband and a friend’s boyfriend are all doing it together).

Board games, movies, mini golf (we also have a fun driving range place called Top Golf), museums, outdoorsy places (arboretum/botanical gardens), plays, etc. all come to mind, too. I’m a pretty big drinker but I have friends who don’t drink at all so we often end up doing stuff like this with them. In DC there’s also usually some sort of random cultural thing going on each weekend if you look for it – film festival, comic book or book show, etc.

• joymanning July 28, 2014 at 9:16 am #

These are terrific suggestions. Thank you!